sprouted grain bread with peanut butter, banana, agave syrup, and cinnamon, a navel orange, and banana dessert tofu with strawberries
Summer Squash & White Bean Sauté
This is a great dish for warmer days. It’s versatile too because you can use any veggies you’d like! Serve it with brown rice or bulgar. It’s delicious, light, and nutritious!
Makes: 4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time:30 minutes
Total Time:30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 15- or 19-ounce can cannellini or great northern beans, rinsed (see Tip)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini, summer squash, oregano, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring once, until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes and vinegar; increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in Parmesan.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (These recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
Per serving: 195 calories; 6 g fat ( 2 g sat , 4 g mono ); 5 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 8 g fiber; 600 mg sodium; 726 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Folate & Potassium (21% dv), Calcium, Magnesium & Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 plant-based protein, 1 fat
[worry About Your Character NO Reputation] na We Heart It http://weheartit.com/entry/62107581/via/pretty2002
The Shape Shifters: The Country’s Best Body-Sculpting Workouts
Photographed by Norman Jean Roy, Vogue, June 2009
Read the article
Some really wonderful fitness classes offered in major cities around the U.S. from my go-to fashion magazine. I’m definitely going to check out the class in Chicago!